Teenager left to his own devices in detention

POSTED: 09/27/13 2:46 PM

St. Maarten – The Court in First Instance deferred the trial of a 17-year-old boy yesterday to October 23. The teenager is charged with two burglaries, by ill-treating someone with a knife and with firearm possession. He appeared briefly in court yesterday morning for process-technical reasons.

It appeared that the youngster had been granted conditional release from pretrial detention earlier this year but when he failed to show up for court on August 28, the authorities went looking for him and finally re-arrested him in a bar on September 4.

“The suspension of your detention was terminated because you did not stick to the conditions,” Judge  Koos van de Ven told the youngster. “I was waiting for you on August 28, but you did not turn up.”

The teenager said that he had been at work on the French side and that he had forgotten all about the trial date.

Prosecutor  Karola van Nie revealed that the boy’s detention-situation is beyond precarious. His mother has left for Haiti and he has no phone contacts with her. His stepfather and his brother, who live in St. Maarten don’t want to have anything to do with him and they have not visited him once during his detention.

 

Did you like this? Share it:
Teenager left to his own devices in detention by

Comments are closed.