St. Maarten Government moving to clear up placement backlog

POSTED: 07/14/11 12:16 PM

St. Maarten – Prime Minister Sarah Wescot-Williams, who is responsible for personnel, says it is likely that all seven ministers have received draft national resolutions for the appointment of roughly 1, 000 civil servants who came into country St. Maarten’s service on October 10, 2010. The backlog in handling the Ministerial decrees appointing these staffers was first revealed on June 22. On Wednesday the prime minister reported there had been movement.

“I have received my package with the resolutions pertaining to the persons working for the Ministry of General Affairs and I suspect that all other ministers have received theirs as well. The submission of these resolutions needs to take place to the governor and if there are no issues, which I suspect there won’t be then these will be signed and then returned to all of the ministers for co-signature,” Wescot-Williams.

Though she was unable to speak on the status of appeals that have been filed the prime minister did indicate that the appeals are being handled.

“In terms of placement, especially if someone is looking for another placement, then that would be on an individual basis that these discussions would take place with the employee in question,” the prime minister said.

The vast majority of the people awaiting decrees worked for the Government of the Netherlands Antilles prior to October 10, 2010, when St. Maarten became an autonomous country. Some of them also worked for the Island Government of St. Maarten.

Did you like this? Share it:
St. Maarten Government moving to clear up placement backlog by

Comments are closed.