Robbery-case goes back to Court in First Instance

POSTED: 05/25/12 2:07 PM

St. Maarten – The Common Court of Justice sent the case of Gleivon Daniel C., 21, and Hector Bienvenido C., 22, back to the Court in First Instance yesterday. The two defendants are suspects in an armed robbery that took place on March 16 of last year.
But when the case came to trial in August of last year, Judge mr. Monique Keppels declared the prosecution inadmissible, after establishing that the police had failed to write a police report about a so-called Oslo-confrontation wherein the robbery-victim had not managed to recognize the suspects as the men who had robbed him of $1,200 and a gold chain.
The officers were questioned in court about the missing police report. They said last year that they had indeed forgotten about it because they were buried under work with several murder cases. The victim, a crew member of a cruise ship, had promised the officers to come after two weeks to check his statement and sign it but he never returned.
The Appeals Court ruled yesterday that not writing the police report was obviously a procedural mistake, but that it was not beyond repair. Presiding Judge mr. H.A.C. Smid told attorneys mrs. Geert Hatzmann and Arnoud Kraaijeveld that he would send them a written opinion about the court’s decision, and that the case will go back to the Court in First Instance at a later date.

Did you like this? Share it:
Robbery-case goes back to Court in First Instance by

Comments are closed.