Prison director Ricardo ignores court rulingPOSTED: 01/31/11 11:53 AM
Inmate sent back to Curacao without authorization
St. Maarten – Prison director Rudsel Ricardo ignored the decision the Common Court of Justice took last week to keep Nashon Francis detained in Pointe Blanche instead of sending him back to the Bon Futuro prison in Curacao.
Francis’ attorney mr. B.B. Brooks said yesterday that Ricardo had refused to accommodate her client in Pointe Blanche and that he had him flown back to Curacao.
“Minister Duncan confirmed to me that he has not given permission to do this,” Brooks stated.
The attorney will file a complaint against Ricardo today at the Ministry of Justice and she will send copies of her complaint to the Common Court of Justice, Attorney General Dick Piar and the public prosecutor’s office.
Brooks stated that she will consult with her client and that she’s considering taking the country to court in summary proceedings.
“Ricardo is not entitled to ignore a court order and because he did this he will have to carry the responsibility for it,” Brooks said.
Francis appeared in court last Wednesday to appeal his 12 years and 10 months verdict for four armed robberies and several other charges. He was originally detained in Pointe Blanche but Ricardo moved him to Bon Futuro as a disciplinary measure after he had been involved in a fight with other inmates.
On Thursday, the court ordered that Francis must remain in Pointe Blanche, but in spite of this ruling Ricardo sent him back to Curacao.