Murder investigations remain uphill battle, prosecutor says

POSTED: 04/6/11 12:51 PM

Public asked once more to provide information

St. Maarten – The investigation into the four murders that rocked the island between February 25 and March 5 is an uphill battle, Chief Prosecutor Mr. Hans Mos Said yesterday. “We are busy with a number of things but from the fact that we have not arrested anybody so far, everybody May draw his own conclusions,” he said.

The TGO (team for large scale investigations) has been put in place, but Mos said that the resources devoted to the investigation are under constant critical review.

“We are working on these investigations with a lot of people. I am happy that we have the TGO structure in place, because we are unable to handle all this on our own. But the people who are working on these investigations were forced to drop other work for it.”

The attorney general offered a 25,000 guilders reward for information about the four murders, but so far there have been no claims to the reward.

On February 25, the chef of the luxury yacht Cheetah Moon, Ludevic Guillevin was found murdered in Mullet Bay. Between Friday morning March 4 and Saturday morning March 5, another three killings followed in rapid succession.

On Friday morning March 4, 61-year-old Eduardo Nova-Valdez was found executed on the G. Alexis Arnell Road, aka the Cakehouse Road.

In the evening, around seven thirty, Emilio de Leon-Reyes, 49, was shot to death at his home on the Quilletor Drive in Dutch Quarter. Both victims are from the Dominican Republic.

On the following Saturday morning the body of a 46-year-old security guard, Foidel Luis, a Haitian, was found in the vicinity of the Learning Unlimited School in Cay Hill. He was beaten to death with a piece of wood.

The conditions to collect the 25,000 guilders reward are straightforward. The information must lead to an arrest, or to multiple arrests, and to a conviction in court.

The Chief Prosecutor calls once more on people who think they have information about any of the four murders to step forward and share their information with investigators.

The phone number 581 37 81 is available around the clock. The anonymous tip line under number 9300 is also available to people who want to give information.

Did you like this? Share it:
Murder investigations remain uphill battle, prosecutor says by

Comments are closed.