Explosion at Gebe Pondfill substation

POSTED: 07/8/13 12:34 PM

St. Maarten – On Friday at approximately 5:45 p.m. there was an explosion at the Pondfill Substation next to the Gebe main office. Smoke was coming from the “high voltage switch gear building” on the W J Nisbeth Road. The Police and Fire Department were on the scene within minutes.

The explosion was caused due to malfunctioning of the high voltage switchgear which caught on fire. Several cables feeding certain areas fell out however; the electricity was restored to the affected areas within a short timeframe.  Gebe technicians are working diligently to repair the damaged switch and cables which was completed Saturday.

The management of NV Gebe apologizes for any inconvenience caused.

Did you like this? Share it:
Explosion at Gebe Pondfill substation by

Comments are closed.