Ex police officer Brown honored

POSTED: 10/8/12 3:54 PM

St. Maarten – After years of exemplary service as a police officer from 1961 to 1994, the Police Sports Association took a decision to recognize one of their own during the final day of the softball competition on Saturday at the John Cooper/Jose Lake Sr Ballpark.
The President of the Police Sports Association, Turhan ‘Pico’ Simmons spoke briefly about ‘Major Brown’ now 75 years old who was quoted as saying, “once a cop always a cop” before accepting the award and a framed photograph from officer Ellis.
Rupert Louis Leonel Brown ‘Major Brown’ as he is affectionately known was born on May 7, 1937. He was the son of Eler Brown, a descendant of the Cremonys from Africa Octavius Richardson from Van Romondts, Holland.
Brown attended the Brick Building Kindergarten and in 1951, he completed the 7th grade at the Oranje School then left for Aruba where he attended the Arubaanse Technische School and three years after, he graduated as a motor mechanic.
In 1955 and in his quest to seek employment, Brown travelled to Curacao and was placed at the Shell Bedrijfschool Bovenbouw where he graduated with advanced motor mechanical skills in 1956 and worked at Shell Curacao from 1956 to 1958.
In September of 1960, Brown completed another six month stint at the Shell training school this time as a lathe bench machinist made him more equipped for his still young profession and that was the turning point in his life.
Tired of the grease and the grime, Brown decided to enlist in the Korps Politie of the Netherlands Antillean as a recruit on November 16, 1960 and one year after, he graduated and worked at the headquarters in Willemstad.
But sometime during that period, his friendship with Beatrix Balborda had blossomed and they tied the knot on April 24, 1962. After the birth of his first child, Mientje, he was promoted to constable first class in 1964.
Because of his mechanical background, Brown was transferred to the traffic department as a technical expert and his duties involved inspecting vehicles that was involved in serious accidents, impounded vehicles that had technical infractions of the law.
Between 1970 and 1971, Brown attended night classes in order to be promoted to Hoofdagent ‘Major.’ Because his mother was advancing in age, Brown made a decision to move to St Maarten in June of 1972.
Brown quickly came through the ranks, in 1975 he concluded a six month course for Sub Inspector. In 1977, he was promoted to Sub Inspector. Before leaving the force on pension in 1994, he was promoted to inspector of police of the Windward Islands from 1986 to 1991. But it was not until 1991 that he was appointed as chief of police and in 1994, Brown called it a day and retired his services. Brown was also a very active person who played baseball, softball, basketball, volleyball and was also a very good athlete who once placed second in a Duathlon that was held in Curacao.
Brown joined the St Maarten Little League on 1977 and was appointed the manager of the selection teams in 1978 that went to Aruba. In 1979 to Cagus, Puerto Rico and in 1980 to Maracaibo, Venezuela. In 1981, Brown was elected as the President of the Little League and remained in that office until 1990.
During his presidency, the association hosted the Latin American tournament in 1982 and 1987. Brown was decorated by the Queen for his contributions to the youth of St Maarten through his work with the St Maarten Little League.
Brown also had some experiences while working during the labor day unrest in Curacao in 1969 when many places was destroyed by arsonists. He was here during the unrest in 1971 when the government administration building and the governor’s residence was burnt down and again in 1989 when the roads were blocked with heavy equipment and the government administration building was blockaded. He still frequents the ballfield and as long as he continues to do so, young and seasoned players can learn something from the ‘Major’ himself.

Did you like this? Share it:
Ex police officer Brown honored by

Comments are closed.