Emilio Wilson Estate purchase almost donePOSTED: 11/30/14 11:04 PM
St. Maarten – The purchase of the Emilio Wilson Estate by the government is in its final stages, Prime Minister Sarah Wescot-Williams said at yesterday’s Council of Ministers press briefing. “The Parliament has approved the budget amendment for it and the loan has been secured. The formalization of the purchase is now in its final stages.”
The government will buy the estate for $17 million from the owners – Henri Brookson and the Paas family.
The purchase price is $1.5 million higher than strictly necessary. The owners agreed to drop $1.5 million of the purchase price on the condition that the government made a down payment by July 31 of this year.
The Parliament was due to handle the necessary budget amendment in a meeting on June 30, but due to a lack of quorum, that meeting did not take place. When the deadline of July 31 expired, the owners threatened to go back to court.
Prime Minister Sarah Wescot-Williams said at yesterday’s Council of Ministers press briefing that the heirs of the Vorst Estate have offered their land in Cay Hill to the government for $4.5 million – $1 million below the price Vromi-minister Maurice Lake negotiated earlier this year.
“The question is whether this outgoing government should handle this or that it should be left to the incoming government,” Wescot-Williams said, immediately adding the answer to her own question. “We will leave it to the incoming government to handle this.”