Defending champions off to shaky start in futsal

POSTED: 08/31/11 1:03 PM

St. Maarten – The 2010 defending Futsal champions, International suffered a humiliating defeat in their first game of the 2011 season when they lost to the 2009 champions and 2010 sub champions Strikers, formerly Sheriff Security by 8-1 over the weekend.
The last time the two teams met when in the finals of the 2010 competition and this encounter had all the elements of a grudge game, but it was the defending champions who did not have some key players on the team this time that took a hammering.
Mark Reid, the keeper for Strikers did well to defend his goal during the first half while his opposite, Nicolas Chabbot was unable to prevent one from slipping through his hands and the Strikers had a one goal advantage going into the second half.
But persistence paid off for Internacional and when Sebastien Dalleti scored on Reid, it was expected to bring about a degree of reassurance for the championship team, but things did not work in their favor, instead, the Strikers proceeded to turn on the pressure by scoring seven more goals. Cohen Palmer scored a hatrick, a double came from Dillian Mitchell while Kevin Hajarie, Rohan Taylor and Loen Brown scored one each.
The Ghetto Boyz also sounded a warning to the other teams in the competition when they defeated the Assassins by 6 goals to 3. Jaydon Gordon scored four of the six goals and Rosshawn Haird netted a double. For the Assassins, Alton Johnson scored a double and one from Warren Johnson.
The RISC Takers were able to register a 9-1 win over Telstar in what turned out to be a one sided affair. Doubles came off the booths of Jeroen van Dorrestey, Harry Kerssies, Donald Carty and Sandro Garcia while Edison Oehiers slipped in one. Sidney van Bosse scored the lone goal for Telstar.
The ST Maarten FC and Emile Photo played to a 4-4 draw. Janvier Jean Pierre scored a double along with individual goals from Jean Baptist Harmen and Javois Hartley for St Maarten FC while Stephen Stacy Lee netted a hatrick and Francis Thierry scored one for Emile Photo.
In the final game of the day, the Flames who were leading by 3-1 at half time ending up recording the highest goal margin of the day with a 13-1 win over Paradise Inn. The Flames extended the lead early in the second half with two quick goals compliments of Unrique Spiers and Loxely Parker, the team captain.
A short while after Feroz Bakas, who had already scored one in the first half made it a double from a long way out and Parker followed on shortly after with his double and Paradise Inn did not have an answer to the onslaught.
Lindsay Montcherry, a seasoned campaigner may have recorded the goal of the day when he scored from a critical angle, from the far left of the keeper almost at the line for his third goal of the afternoon and was taken off seconds after, he had made his contributions.
With less than five minutes remaining, Armanatho Kemble scored goal number 11 and two minutes after, he found the keeper off guard and made it a double. But even with time running out on the clock, a tempo was building up and that became evident when Jain Lindo came off the bench and scored a running goal, his second in the game with just 30 seconds remaining.
Lindo was fouled inside the box shortly after and a penalty was awarded, but Basil Wong missed the opportunity to make it goal number 14. Scoring the lone goal for Paradise Inn was Damion Scafe.

Did you like this? Share it:
Defending champions off to shaky start in futsal by

Comments are closed.