De Weever to seek legal action for hospital council’s removal

POSTED: 02/15/13 1:51 PM

St. Maarten – Public Health Minister Dr. Cornelius de Weever will be moving to the courts to have the supervisory council of the St. Maarten Medical Centre (SMMC) rescind their positions.

“I asked the entire supervisory council to reconsider their position and they have responded that they do not see any reason to reconsider. As I mentioned in Parliament- a national decree has been drafted and will be sent to the governor next week. We are going to take this matter to court. I cannot divulge my entire action plan at this moment but I have given enough information at this time,” the minister said in a brief comment to Today.

In a parliamentary central committee meeting last week, Minister de Weever said that it was unfortunate that in the supervisory council which replaces the former director, Dr. George Scot, two of the board members do not live on the island.

“I clearly indicated that this bordering on mismanagement, negligence and it is unfortunate,” he told Parliament.

On February 5, the minister sent a formal letter to the supervisory council of the hospital to resign.

The supervisory council comprises Dr. Isaac (Izzy) Gerstenbluth, Robert-Jan James, Sixto Peters and Edward Benjamin.

However the embattled institution is still without a director. An interim candidate to fill the position of the chairman of the Board of Directors for the hospital should have assumed responsibilities as of January 1.

Minister de Weever is only the second minister to request that a supervisory board be removed. Minister of Tourism, Economic Affairs, Transport and Telecommunications Romeo Pantophlet used his authority to shakeup the Harbour Group of Companies board, last year.

 

 

Did you like this? Share it:
De Weever to seek legal action for hospital council’s removal by

Comments are closed.