Court moves trial of serial robber to August

POSTED: 04/15/14 1:09 AM

St. Maarten – The Court in First Instance yesterday moved the trial of serial robber Dion Olysses G. to August 6 and to have the 23-year-old suspect in the meantime subjected to a psychological evaluation.

Between August 1 and December 18 of last year, the defendant committed eight armed robberies, mainly at supermarkets in Simpson Bay, Cole Bay and on the Pondfill. He threatened his targets with a firearm and came away with cash, jewelry and phone cards. The prosecution accuses the defendant not only of the eight robberies, but also of firearm possession.

Prosecutor Karola van Nie asked the court to move the trail to another day to allow for a psychological evaluation. If this report gives reason to it, a psychiatric evaluation could be the next step, she said.

Attorney Geert Hatzmann said that his client had acted under enormous stress and that there could definitely be a psychological component to his actions. “He had a relatively large debt of between $1,500 and $2,000 for car repairs. He wanted to get a loan from island ‘finance to settle this, but his income was not high enough.”

Prosecutor Van Nie said that according one witness has seen the defendant often at the Jump-Up casino and that gambling could maybe be the cause of the debt.

“Casinos often offer free drinks,” Hatzmann responded. “The fact that he was often seen at a casino does not mean my client has a gambling habit.”

Did you like this? Share it:
Court moves trial of serial robber to August by

Comments are closed.