Children’s parade celebrates library milestone

POSTED: 11/25/13 12:30 PM

St. Maarten – Ninety years after it first became a hub for readers and future leaders on St. Maarten, staff, supporters and children that utilize the Philipsburg Jubilee Library banded together to celebrate its diamond anniversary. On Saturday they took to the streets in a colorful parade that focused on magnifying the presence of a library in our community. The procession started from the Clem Labega Square, winded down Cannegieter Street, turned at the GEBE intersection and tramped all the way up the Pondfill, with a final stop at the Library. Along the way, a cacophony of sounds floated through Philipsburg, thanks to the energetic dancing girls, drum bands and staff members who chanted slogans such as “Reading is FUNdamental”.
From its humble beginnings on Back Street to its spacious facility on Voges Steeg, the development of the library has been celebrated with much pomp and ceremony throughout the week.  Saturday’s parade was the proverbial icing on the cake, bringing the curtains down with a small cultural show in the library’s parking lot, featuring students from all of the island’s schools as well as the National Institute of Arts.
The Philipsburg Jubilee Library was founded on November 23, 1923 and was further developed through the initiatives of W.R Plantz, A. C Wathey, C.M Darrell, C.C.G Philipszoon and C. A Beaujon with the first books being purchased with donated money. It now has a collection of more than 63 thousand books, opened an E-book section for the tech savvy and also signed a service level agreement with the University of St. Martin to provide an invaluable service to tertiary students.
All of this and more was celebrated on Saturday, now the library plans to move forward with increased awareness under the theme “A Great Nation is a Reading Nation.”

Did you like this? Share it:
Children’s parade celebrates library milestone by

Comments are closed.