Burglar’s cause of death remains unclear

POSTED: 02/3/14 12:17 PM

St. Maarten – The autopsy on the burglar that died in a struggle with residents in Oyster Pond last week Tuesday has not yielded a clear answer to the question about the young man’s cause of death, the prosecutor’s office said before the weekend.

When three men entered a home in Oyster Pond with the intention to rob its residents, the tourists put up a fight and managed to subdue one of the invaders. In the fight, the tourist, who has not been identified, sustained a broken nose, while the subdued burglar did not show any signs of external injuries.

Nevertheless, when the police arrived on the scene, the burglar appeared to be dead. According to one media-report, the burglar is 22-year old Michael Carty from French Quarter, but the prosecutor’s office has not confirmed this information.

On Thursday an autopsy was performed on the body but the results are ‘complicated” prosecutor Tineke Kamps said. “This means that further investigation is necessary. It could take weeks, if not months, before we have the definitive results.”

Because the results of the autopsy are inconclusive, it is also unclear whether a crime was committed against the burglar. “Therefore the prosecutor’s office cannot take a decision about a possible prosecution,” Kamps said. “The tourists that are involved in this case have been heard as suspects. They have made a statement as a suspect but they have not been detained.”

 

Did you like this? Share it:
Burglar’s cause of death remains unclear by

Comments are closed.