Affected residents not sure what happens next

POSTED: 10/17/14 4:31 PM

DAMAGE ON MADRID DRIVE

Constancia Eduardo Illidge, points to the damage to her the roof of her apartment on Madrid Drive in Dutch Quarter during the passage of Hurricane Gonzalo on Monday evening. Today Photo/Milton Pieters.

St. Maarten / By Milton Pieters – A few residents are still trying to come to grips with the harsh realities after the passing of Hurricane Gonzalo and now a few that were affected the most are not sure which way to go as they attempt to restore a degree of normalcy to their wellbeing.

Constancia Eduardo Illidge, a pensioner residing on Madrid Drive Dutch Quarter, is just one of those whose family lost most of their belongings when the gusting winds accompanied by rain drenched everything in site after the roof of the small cottage was blown away.

“I live here for over 40 years, everything get wet up, all my food gone, it’s my neighbors that cooking for us now because I don’t have anything,” the elderly woman stated. Ironically, Illidge was not the only person in the cottage at the time, four other family members were also there.

According to Illidge, after they heard about the warning, they thought that it would just be heavy rain, but they did not expect the winds to be so strong and now she is pleading for assistance. “Nobody came to see what happen to us. We have to stay right here and sleep and it’s a good thing that the rain did not fall again because I don’t know what will happen to us next.” She concluded.

“We did not expect this to happen,” said Edison Rafael one of her grandsons. “Now I am not feeling well, all of my school clothes get stained up and my books wet so I am not sure what will happen when school reopens,” the Dr. Martin Luther King JR student said.

Carley Connelly, is just one of the persons that lost the roof of the apartment building on Montrepose Drive, Middle Region that fateful night. Electricity was restored on Wednesday. Minutes before this exclusive interview, water was restored.

Connely along with seven other families occupy the building and while the degree of damages will vary depending on the type of household items and valuables, they all share the same pain. “I have been living here since 1997, the water in the building rose to about four inches. But I was able to secure most of my things. What was damaged for us wooden pieces of furniture that could not take the water,” Connely said.

Despite the prevailing conditions, no outside assistance was rendered. “We don’t know which way to start over,” said Novelet, one of the affected residents. “The roof gone and most of the things are damaged after the water came in. So far I have not seen any official that I can talk to so I don’t know what to do or where to turn, but life is there,” the woman said.

Did you like this? Share it:
Affected residents not sure what happens next by

Comments are closed.