25,000 Guilders reward for information about murders

POSTED: 03/8/11 12:42 PM

St. Maarten – The Public Prosecutor’s Office is offering a reward of 25,000 guilders, or almost $14,000 for information that leads to the solution of the four murders that shocked the island during the past two weeks. Press officer Mr. Rienk Mud, who is in the last days of his tenure in St. Maarten, made the announcement at a press conference at the police station yesterday.
During the brief press conference, police spokesman Inspector Ricardo Henson summed up the four crimes: the murder on Ludevic Guillevin in Mullet Bay on February 25; the murder of Eduardo Nova-Valdez on Friday March 4; the murder of Emilio de Leon-Reyes on the evening of that day; and the murder of Foidel Luis on Saturday morning.
Denise Jacobs, the head of the detective department, extended her sympathy to the family and friends of the victims. “We have classified each of these crimes as a homicide,” she said. To the people of St. Maarten I say: these investigations have the highest priority. Other investigations have been put on hold. But to solve these crimes, we need your cooperation.”
Jacobs appealed to citizens on the Dutch and the French side to step forward. “Please provide any information you may have.”
The detective department has made phone number 581 37 81 available on a 24.7 basis. People who know something relevant to any of the cases can also call the anonymous tip line; the number is 9300.
Press officer Mud declined to get into speculative questions about a possible connection between two or more of the murders or about the number of detectives assigned to the cases.
When Clemencia Josie-Ann Julot was murdered on July 20 of last year, attorney general dick Piar almost immediately approved the establishment of a THO, a team for large-scale investigations. There was also a $25,000 reward for information that led to the solution of the crime, but so far nobody has come forward and the reward remains unclaimed.
Mud had no comment on the question whether a TGO would be established for the current murder investigations. In July, detectives from Curacao, Aruba, the Royal Military Police (Marechaussee) and the detective collaboration team RST were working the Julot case together with detectives from the local police force, and with members of the French-side gendarmerie. “Fifteen detectives – that is more than half of what St. Maarten has available to deal with all crime outside the RST,” chief prosecutor Mr. Hans Mos said at the time.

Did you like this? Share it:
25,000 Guilders reward for information about murders by

Comments are closed.