Toddler rape-case postponedPOSTED: 03/3/11 12:19 PM
St. Maarten – Patrick Ray A., 42, remains in custody until his trial for raping the 4-year old son of his partner between April and December of last year. The trial was postponed until April 13, because the final police report is not ready yet.
A.’s attorney Mr. S,.R. Bommel asked the court to end or suspend her client’s preventive custody, but prosecutor Mr. R. Mud, in what might be his final case in St. Maarten before his return to the Netherlands, objected.
“The mother has been interviewed and she says, who else could have been near the child. There were no other men in the vicinity and this is a very serious crime,” Mud said.
Mr. Bommel pointed out that the judge of instruction had ordered the prolonged the detention of her client at the Pointe Blanche prison and that, in spite of this he was still detained at the police station.
Judge Mr. M. Keppels rejected the request to release the defendant, citing serious objections. The Judge postponed the case because the investigation is not complete. She also demanded a report about the reliability of the victim’s statements and a clarification from the psychologist about a drawing the boy had made about what allegedly happened to him.